Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rana - Chitchat

Rana in 'Nenu Naa Rakshasi'

Rana is hogging all the limelight thanks to his Hindi film debut Dum Maaro Dum and his forthcoming film in Telugu - Nenu Naa Rakshasi. He is in news recently with alleged affairs with couple of heroines. As his second film in Telugu is hitting the screens, he talks about the movie and these affairs. 

What is Nenu Naa Rakshasi all about?

It is romantic thriller. Genre specific movie. Uniqueness of the subject drew me into this film. Puri Jagannadh narrated the story with in detail over a dinner at a restaurant in Hyderabad. After coming back from the dinner, I sat down and wrote his narration into several scenes. They turned out to be more than 40 scenes and then I realized that none of them have any resemblance of the movies that I have seen in my life. I am avid film buff and watched innumerous movies in all languages, so I easily find references when I watch a Telugu film but in the case of this subject I couldn’t find any.

What is your role?

I play the role of an assassin. Ileana plays the role of a girl with dark past, grappling with demons in her mind. 

The film deals with suicides?

Well, it deals with that problem but the movie is character driven thriller. The characters have darker pasts. We came to know with a news report that rate of suicides is high in India. So this subject is topical and has touch of sensitivity too. In fact, I was shocked to know that both Ileana and Puri went through a phase in their life that prompted them to think of attempting suicide. 

Puri is known for making commercial entertainers but you people have been promoting the movie as an unique movie!

We don’t want the people to come to theaters with wrong assumptions. We should show in trailers and promote the movie what it offers, should not cheat them with false claims like it is mass masala entertainer. It is completely genre oriented flick. 



You have worked with two of the hottest heroines - Bipasha in Dum Maaro Dum and Ileana in Nenu Naa Rakshasi. And there are so many rumors too. 

Bips is senior actress – both in experience and in age. But we bonded well during the shoot. I respect her. Definitely she is hot heroine but there is nothing between us. There were just rumors. Regarding Ileana, I was actually blown away seeing some rushes of her performances. Puri began shooting the movie with her initially before I joined the shoot. Like everyone else, I thought she’s all about beauty but was surprised seeing the other side – her acting abilities. I have never met her before this movie but we jelled well as she is younger girl though she’s senior actress. 

Is marriage on the cards?

No. Not thinking of it now.

Any kiss scenes in the Nenu Naa Rakshasi?

No. 



Padithinammo song in the film is just copy of Michael Jackson’s ‘Leave Me Alone’. What’s your comment on it? 
Yes, someone told me. I am not aware of it when I heard for the first time. I loved that song and it is foot-tapping. Regarding copying Michael Jackson's song, it is better to ask the music directors. 

Any dream projects?

I have two dream projects - one is to do a period film and the other one is to do a Tamil film. I am seriously trying to do Tamil movie, as Tamil is the language that I first learnt since I was born and brought up in Chennai. 

What happened to Selva Raghavan film?

We are planning but nothing is working out.

Next movies..

Naa Istam with Genelia is beginning shortly. After this, I will be doing Ram Gopal Varma’s Hindi film - Department. 

RGV has been delivering duds. Are you not apprehensive of doing his movie?

Even Steven Spielberg gave many flops. Manirathnam also gave some duds. But that doesn’t lessen their greatness. Ram Gopal Varma is one of the all time great directors irrespective of fate of his films at Box-office. I have grown up watching his great movies Shiva, Gayaam, Kshana Kshanam (in Telugu), Satya, Company and Sarkar (in Hindi). He is great director.

Search This Blog